As great as marriage is, it comes with its fair share of challenges. Maintaining a strong and happy relationship over time can be difficult and takes a whole lot of work. This by no means is meant to be discouraging, instead, a reminder that falling in love and saying “I do” is the easiest part. I recently read this article that discusses some great marriage advice, which I thought would be great to share. Marriage is a learning process, and following this advice can be useful for anyone that is looking to strengthen their relationship.
1) Share everything with each other. This includes expressing exactly how you feel. If you do not communicate with your spouse then it will be hard for you to find common ground. Make sure your partner understands exactly what you are thinking. Remember to also listen to them too.
2) Let the little things go and focus on the bigger picture. Remember that your relationship is much bigger than any one minor incident. Don’t sweat the small stuff!
3) Avoid giving the silent treatment. Do not let emotions build up until you explode. Instead talk about what is bothering you as soon as possible.
4) Do not take each other for granted. Constantly remind your partner that you are thankfully for everything they do that makes your life easier or better. No matter how small it may be.
5) Find new things or hobbies to do together, such as running, a cooking class, gardening. It is a way to spend time with each other, grow, strengthen your bond and keep things exciting.
6) Surprise each other like you did when you first started dating. This include something as simple as a special note or as big as a weekend away. It lets the other person know that you think about them and feel the love.
7) Build up your partner and support them with whatever they want to take on in life. Whether it is a new job or hobby, encourage them to achieve their goals.
8) Make each other laugh. Not everything has to be so serious.
9) Say “I love you,” and remember to tell your partner how attracted you are to them.
10) Enjoy the NOW. Life can go to fast. Embrace whatever stage you are at in your life. Do not wish time away!